Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Compiler Compatability Woes

For this project, I had planned to use libcxx as a base implementation of the STL. Unfortunately, that plan failed due to compatibility issues when mixing libcxx, Thrust, and linux. I'm developing on a server with the following configuration:

  • openSUSE Linux
  • Cuda Version 4.0
  • gcc 4.5
  • GeForce 9600 GT

Unfortunately, the stream portions of the STL have only been implemented for Mac OSX in libcxx. By itself, this isn't a problem because I could just use the old C libraries for output in any benchmarks. However, Thrust uses the IO portions of the STL that make it impossible to compile any benchmarks using libcxx on my target platform. Thus, I will be testing my implementation using the 4.5 version of stdlibc++ that was meant to work with gcc 4.5.

1 comment:

  1. As we discussed, given that the 9600 GT isn't that great of a card anymore, we need to benchmark on a variety of systems, especially those with more recent cards.

    ReplyDelete